Hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone by African artisans, the Circle of Elephants is a reminder that we are all creatures of this great earth - interconnected in ways beyond understanding.
Colors vary from cream to gold to orange earthy colors. Expect an assortment of colors with your order!
This also serves as a comfort gift to someone going through a difficult time, or suffering from a loss. When an elephant loses a member of their herd, the elephants' ritual is to gather round, extend their trunks and gently touch tucks in solidarity of their fallen friend. It is a reminder that those around you offer support to help you heal.
- Measures approximately 3-inches tall by 3 to 3.5-inches in diameter. Due to the hand-carved nature, each piece may vary slightly in size.
- A natural stone, color variations will range from cream to pink to gold to gray in any single piece. Color variety ranges from cream to gold to earthy orange. Expect an assortment of colors with your order!
- Soapstone is a soft stone, making it easy to carve into many forms. Handle with care to avoid breakage.
- Each piece has gone through multiple stages of sanding and waxing, giving the soapstone a satiny finish.
- Socially responsible products that empower consumers to purchase according to their values and help alleviate global poverty.
- Fair Trade is an alternative business model that values safe workplaces, fair wages and community investment for factory employees.
Story Behind the Art:
Each sculpture is artfully hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone, found only in the hills of southwestern Kenya. Mining the soapstone from surface hills is a labor-intensive process, using little to no machinery. Laborers works with shovels, picks, axes and machetes to carve out large soapstone chucks, which are then carved into beautiful art.